[TR] Re. Winter Storage

Skip Gurnee skip47 at powernet.net
Tue Sep 4 15:16:54 MDT 2007

Hi David-
Here's something from Purdue: (actually
http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/extension/pdf/gaspump-handout-long.pdf  )
    "If the gasoline will not be used for four to six months, will be
exposed to direct sunlight, or will be stored much of the time at
temperatures above 80-deg.F, add a fuel sabilizer/additive to the gasoline
when you first buy it.  Furel stabilizers contain antioxidants, which
lprevent gum and other compounds from forming in gasoline;  biocides, which
prevent microbial growth; and corrosion inhibitors, which prevent the
formation of rust and corrosion.  Fuel stabilizers/additives are available
at auto parts stores.
    Freshness of the gasoline is improved if the containor or gas tank is
stored in a cool place and is kept about 95% full.  However, leave some
headroom for gasoline to expand if it warms up in storage.  Without an air
space, expansion will force liquid gasoline out of the container or distort
the container."

As for Marvel mystery oil, why not put a little on top of the pistons?  It
won't hurt, and will help to slow corrosion and keep rings unstuck.
Best,
Skip Gurnee
64 TR4
65 TR4A