[TR] wiring needed for my pos. ground car!

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Tue Oct 30 20:56:56 MST 2007

Thru eBay, I bought Bob Danielson's new Spal 185 Fan Harness and relay (w/o
temp sensor).  Bob sold his because he already had the harness.  He also told
me that instructions for it were at:
http://www.spalusa.com/fans/automated/tech_sheets/FRH-185FH-195FH.pdf
  I studyed the 'single fan wiring diagram' found on the first diagram on the
second page of the above link.  I did this because I don't have immediate
plans for running anything but a toggle switch to turn on and off the 'pusher'
electric fan since this fan will be in addition to the OEM engine fan.

  My big question is how to wire it so that I can use it on my positive ground
car.  When I called the number shown for Spal Technical Help the guy was also
clueless?  That's weird, he even suggested that I might be able to run it
straight from the switch.  Even I knew that it needs a relay instead of doing
this!

  The one thing that I do know after testing it out with my car battery is
that the fan's ground (black) must be hooked to the battery's + pole, to get
it to turn the correct direction.

  I'll share one unsuccessful scenario given to me by the Spal guy: (I'll
concede that I proably copied this wrong).  It's adapted from the 'Single Fan
Wiring Diagram' shown above.
      yellow relay wire (14 ga.) goes to battery's negative pole.
      gray relay wire (20 ga.) (could go to a sensor) but I have it just going
to a toggle switch and on to         the battery's positive pole.
      red relay wire (14 ga.) to fan's red wire
      orange relay wire (20 ga.) runs to ignition switch.
      fan's black wire to the TR3's grounding

  Somebody please tell me that I bought the right relay for my positive ground
Triumph!

  Thanks,
  Paul Dorsey 60 TR3