[TR] TR4 Fuel injection: Thoughts and Dreams

Daehler, William F william.f.daehler at delphi.com
Tue Oct 30 14:46:05 MST 2007

I was following the discussion last month about TBI fuel injection.  It
seemed like a couple of guys on this list, actually have done the
conversion, and it has worked with measurable success.  Made for great
reading.

So I clicked around, followed the links, and saw a picture that made me
almost jump out my skin.  Hey,  we used to build that ECM right here in
Milwaukee in my department!  About 20 years ago.  So many models, styles
types, broadcast codes, fuel moding chips, memory chips; the technology
constantly was evolving.  TBI, MFI, SFI, PFI, alphabet fuel injector
soup.

You would think we made an ECM somewhere along the line that would be an
ideal candidate for the TR4 in line four banger. Hmm lets see, nope.
Hmm, lets give it some more thought.   How about the 83 Buick Skylark,
2.5 litre Iron Duke.  Nope, the single carburetor was replaced with a
single throttle body.  Oh,  maybe I understand the problem, the TR4
needs a controller that can fire two fuel injectors.  And the order is
1,3,4,2.   What about some exotic GM L4 like Opel or Holden?

I'm going to now paste in the following FAQ that I cut from from the
Sidedraft website:

Can I convert my TR4A or dual carbed MGB?

The parts will fit the carbs nicely however the rub is that the firing
order and manifold layout would deliver an uneven fuel mix if trying to
use the GM ECM. Sorry to say that at present the GM TBI computer is not
compatible with most dual carbed British 4 cylinder engines. We are
working on this issue and expect to resolve it soon. Presently it will
work perfectly on the same engines when using a single carb. Stay tuned-
this may soon change! (Oct 07)

So fellow listers, what do you think?  Should we convert now to fuel
injection,  or wait until aftermarket parts start to appear for direct
injection?  Bio mass?  Mr. Fusion retrofit kit?

William F. Daehler
Sr. Process Engr. MKE
Delphi Electronics & Safety

Note:  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.