[TR] Synthetic vs. Regular Oil

John Herrera jrherrera90 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 29 09:07:49 MST 2007

> > When Mobil 1 first
> > came out, the FAA allowed their use for piston aircraft
> > engines.
>
>Uh huh.  Do you really believe the FAA allows *car* oil to be used in
>aircraft ?
>
>I don't.
>
>Nor do I believe the rest of this story as stated.
>
>I don't even believe the FAA has forbidden use of synthetic oil in aircraft
>engines, except maybe those pesky diesel ones <g>
>
>Randall

The FAA and aircraft engine manufacturers did approve Mobil AV 1 (an
aviation spec synthetic oil, not Mobil 1 car oil) for use in aircraft
engines. This approval was later rescinded, but I disremember the reason
why. The reason was given in a Textron Lycoming Service Bulletin which I
have somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look for it.

John