[TR] Synthetic vs. Regular Oil

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Oct 28 06:17:42 MST 2007

Whoop.  Another posting on the same website seems to indicate that synthetic will not suspend lead, but will the other contaminants.  Still the issue is what to believe.

 http://www.dieseldoctor.com/messageboard/data/163.html

Terry
From: terryrs at comcast.net

Thought I had a handle on this--and despite the small bit of dripping I get under the TR3 that is possibly due to synthetic--I have been using Valvoline fully synthetic engine oil.
On a diesel website, however, I got this new piece of information I don't remember being discussed yet on the List.  It's quoted in the next paragraph:
The bottom line on Synthetics is that they give superior lubracation, BUT they don't Suspend and therefore do not carry dirt away to the filter very well. When Mobil 1 first came out, the FAA allowed their use for piston aircraft engines. After they saw what was happening, they banned their use. However, if you mix synthetic and crude oils together, you get the best of both worlds. Don't buy the blends, they contain two little of the synthetics. A 30 or 40 percent Synthetic blend is a good blend. Good for you car too.
My question is how this could be?  If particles are not in suspension, they are in the bottom of the oil pan, not doing damage.  If they are in suspension, or if they get picked up off the bottom, they wind up going through the filter.  Right?  ...Or is there something to the paragraph above?
Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire