[TR] TR4 Surrey Top

ZoboHerald at aol.com ZoboHerald at aol.com
Sat Oct 27 18:11:26 MDT 2007

In a message dated 10/27/2007 7:32:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Kinderlehrer at comcast.net writes:

Does  anyone know if the surrey top for the TR4 was a factory option or a
dealer  installed option? A friend is doing an article on options of the
period
and  would like to know.

==AM==
TECHNICALLY... ;-)

The real question is whether the TR4 hardtop option (likely including the
vinyl part and its framework -- the "surrey" --  as well as the metal top
panel) was factory or dealer-installed? Now that we've gotten terminology out of
the way, the answer is yes to both. A factory hard top installation could be
had  in body color, while those supplied after the fact and to be installed by
the  dealer or owner were generally available in either white or black. At
least that  color choice is what I remember reading in various histories of the
TR4. By the  time of the TR4A, the "kit" was available with rear light frame and
metal top  available in "primed" finish. The "surrey" kit, available in both
black and  white, was a separate option.

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with   wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and
Triumph Herald Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)