[TR] TR3 eater valve question - conclusion

Andy Andy.dixon at comcast.net
Sat Oct 27 07:11:39 MDT 2007

Many thank to those of you that responded.
Fred Thomas, Mike Marr ( to be truly colloquial, I probably should have
dropped the t as well  eaer valve), Dave Lylis, who actually removed his
from the engine to get a better perspective for me, and Bill Beech, who let
me know they are on sale at TRF. I have one on order, along with the pipe
which is also on sale.
It turns out that the washer is dished and the stem sort of looks like a
nail head on the end. The head fits in the dish, and a thin lip is then
peened behind the head to hold the washer in place but still allow it to
rotate. I expect the washer would either wear down quickly, or snap off when
you tightened it down if it weren't allowed to rotate.
Somewhere along the line, someone had messed up the threads for the outlet
pipe and had soldered one in. Either the heat loosened the washer, or the
big blob of solder on the inside wall of the valve did. I have reattached
the washer by putting the washer/stem assembly in a vice, horizontally, and
peening the rim a bit with a punch.
I know; I have one on order, so why bother? I guess it was just the
challenge.
Thanks again.
Andy

Checked by AVG Free Edition.