[TR] build date of TR3A

Mo and Dave MacKay m.d.mackay at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 26 17:22:28 MDT 2007

My story is similar to Steve's even though our cars are 475 units apart. My
TR3A, 68639L, was built on February 18, 1960 and dispatched to "Cal Sales
Inc." in Portland aboard the good ship "Jean LD". I wonder if they might
have been on the same ship for the trip to the US west coast.

My car also must have languished on the lot for quite a while. Like Steve's,
mine is registered as a 1962 car.

I haven't found an "STC 62" sign on mine though.

Regards,

Dave MacKay

TR3A s/n 68639L (now also "O")

near Toronto, Canada

"Steve Ball" banjonut at verizon.net wrote:

>The Triumph folks had a fix for that.  They just changed the declared model
year of the car to match the year in which it >was first sold, so it was
always a "new" car no matter how old it was.  My TR3A, TS68164, was built in
February 1960, but >was registered in California as a '62 because that's
when it was first sold, after apparently sitting around the docks in >L.A.
for 2 years.

>The dealer (or some other factory rep) simply added a little plate to the
firewall, officially declaring the model year >of the car.  Mine suddenly
became a 1962 TR3A even though it was nearly 2 years old...what a miracle!

>The crummy little sign (and I do mean crummy)  reads: "STC 62", presumably
for Standard Triumph Corp, 1962.  The >California registration shows the VIN
number

>as: STC62TS68164L.  The little plate was screwed onto the firewall, so if
it didn't sell in '62 they could easily replace >it with "STC 63" and so
forth.  I think they got away with it because the cars all looked pretty
much the same, and the >buying public was clueless.