[TR] Hemmings & $225K Healey

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 26 11:41:00 MDT 2007

> The DeDion rear suspension is interesting, but it is definitely not
> independent, as the listing claims it to be.  The dual headlamp set-up is
> hideous!

Let us not be too harsh on the old lady. She manifests the confusion that
was sadly so prevalent within British Leyland either just before or just
after the closure of the BL Competitions Dept at Abingdon. As far as that
place was concerned, it turned out some impressive 'factory' competition
cars before closure by Donald Stokes, BL's CEO. From the few pics I've
looked at, she has the Austin 3 litre saloon headlamp assembly,
Austin/Morris 1100/1300 saloon front sidelight/indicator pods, an early
Range Rover oil pressure gauge, an MGA competition steering wheel and
Triumph 2.5PI speedo and rev-counter.
Personally, I love Big Healeys and always have, though I must admit that
225,000 of the Big Ones are rather a lot to handover to acquire her
ownership. All that said, let's be happy she's still around and not be so
critical of whether she looks like we think she ought to look - and doesn't.
Her *successor* from HMC Sports Cars (www.hmcsportscars.com) was just as
gorgeous but I'm not sure whether they are still made. I've seen three of
them at different times and if I could afford to lay out that kind of money
for my own enjoyment, I'd have been very sorely tempted.

Jonmac