[TR] build date of TR3A

Steve Ball banjonut at verizon.net
Wed Oct 24 20:16:46 MDT 2007

Fred,

The Triumph folks had a fix for that.  They just changed the declared model
year of the car to match the year in which it was first sold, so it was always
a "new" car no matter how old it was.  My TR3A, TS68164, was built in February
1960, but was registered in California as a '62 because that's when it was
first sold, after apparently sitting around the docks in L.A. for 2 years.
The dealer (or some other factory rep) simply added a little plate to the
firewall, officially declaring the model year of the car.  Mine suddenly
became a 1962 TR3A even though it was nearly 2 years old...what a miracle!
The crummy little sign (and I do mean crummy)  reads: "STC 62", presumably for
Standard Triumph Corp, 1962.  The California registration shows the VIN number
as: STC62TS68164L.  The little plate was screwed onto the firewall, so if it
didn't sell in '62 they could easily replace it with "STC 63" and so forth.  I
think they got away with it because the cars all looked pretty much the same,
and the buying public was clueless.

So...let me see if I have this right.  Using the same "Triumph Logic", I
should be able to attach a little plate to my forehead and declare a new
birthday for myself?  Maybe I can lose 10 years?  How cool is that?

Steve

Message: 9