[TR] more on fans

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Wed Oct 24 17:25:42 MDT 2007

Two more thoughts on fans.  When I bought my Spitfire it had been
through some curious times.  A PO had found it susceptible to
overheating so her favorite LBC shop had cleaned out the radiator,
replaced it, flushed the block, added a manual fan switch, maybe even
dropped the car off a cliff for all I know, and finally swapped the
engine.  It still overhet repeatedly.  Finally they discovered that
the Lucas fan just wasn't spinning very well.  It appeared to turn on
and no one had noticed that it spun more slowly than it should've.  A
new motor solved the problem.  But by then she had sold the car to
the guy I bought it from.

The second point is that my first Fiat, a '69 124 Spider, had a fan
coupled by an electromagnetic clutch.  WHen the temp sensor read high
enough it would engage the clutch by feeding current to the fan
through a brush similar to the brushes in a generator.  I had trouble
with it only once.  The cause, I discovered, was the brush dangling
by its spring from its holder.  Never figured out how it came out,
maybe from a bonehead mechanic's error.  Once I re-mounted the brush
the temp went back to being well-behaved.  I've never sesen another
fan clutch like that, but it certainly worked.  I suppose a plain
electric motor is simpler.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com