[TR] build date of TR3A

David Ljung Madison team.net at daveola.com
Wed Oct 24 03:16:59 MDT 2007

David Lylis writes:
> Which raises and interesting question.  My 60 was titled  as a 59 which I
> thought was odd, but since have met others who's cars are  titled in the year
> before they were built.  Anyone know why that  happened?

My first Triumph was also oddly dated, titled as 61 and built in 60.

As I understand it, this wasn't just because things were built at
the end of the year to be prepared for unveiling in January.  I believe
the practice (at least for Triumphs) was to title the car based on the
year it was sold, not built, so the owner didn't feel like they were
getting an old car.  I don't think it mattered much back then since
the distinctions between two different TR3As are not based just on
the production year.  A 2008 Honda Civic may be entirely different
from a 2007 Honda Civic, but that's not really the case with Triumphs
(at least not in the same sense).

But I could be wrong, this is all just hearsay.

Dave