[TR] California Wild Fires

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Oct 23 16:54:33 MDT 2007

> How are our California list members making out with all the
> wild fires? I
> know we have more then a few members living in So Calif.

I live well away from any wooded area, so no worries on my part.

But the damage is just incredible, with some reports saying over 1000 homes
already destroyed and over 500,000 people evacuated with more to come.  As I
flew in last night, some of the hills looked more like volcanoes !

And it's still hot and dry, with a hellish wind blowing ashes everywhere.
Small wonder the Spanish called them the "winds of Satan".

"Those hot dry winds that come down through the mountain passes and curl
your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that
every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the
carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen."
-- Raymond Chandler

Randall