[TR] heat proof wiring loom tape recommendadtions wanted

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Oct 23 16:28:12 MDT 2007

> Can anyone recommend a good wiring loom tape that is also
> heat proof?   I
> want
> to insulate some wires that run close to the exhaust
> manifolds on my Stag

I don't believe there is such a thing as "heat proof" tape, Sujit; although
there are some tapes that are more heat resistant than others.  The best I
know of is Scotch 70 Silicone Rubber self-fusing tape, which is rated to
350F (180C), but that's still not as hot as your exhaust manifold.

To go higher, you need fiberglass sleeving to slip over the wire, which can
then be held with thin metal wire (since tie-wraps also won't withstand high
heat).

Both the sleeving & silicone rubber tape are available from McMaster-Carr in
the US
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3323

Randall