[TR] Push or Pull

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Oct 23 09:09:10 MDT 2007

> In my opinion that is not
> accurate as the radiator  does not care which side the
> blockage (if there is one) is on.

Thought experiment : take a bucket with a hole in the bottom.  Turn it
upside down and spray it with a hose.  Now turn it right side up and spray
it with a hose again.  Which way has more water flowing through the hole ?

>  I would  prefer that the
> electric fan not be seen from inside the engine bay.  What
> say those with experience in this?

Cooling systems are funny things; basically you either have enough cooling
for the conditions at hand or you don't.  If you have enough, then
sacrificing some small amount for esthetics probably means you still have
enough.  But if the system was already marginal, then any little bit you
sacrifice MIGHT be enough to push it over the edge into "not enough".  My
experience is that a 'pusher' interferes with the ram-air effect and makes
the engine run slightly hotter at freeway speeds (even with the fan running,
which wouldn't normally be necessary).

The fan is also pretty well hidden on an assembled TR3/A; even with the
hood/bonnet open.  If someone is going to spot a puller from above, they
would probably notice a pusher through the grille as well.  Certainly they
will notice the alternator long before that.

BTW, IMO unless you live in a very moderate (or downright cool) climate, 12"
isn't enough for a single fan.  The 16" I used might be overkill, but I'm
glad I have it.

Also BTW, I once owned one of the very few production cars with a 'pusher'
fan.  It had noticeably fewer cooling problems after I followed the
factory's lead (on subsequent models) and converted to an electric puller
fan.

Randall