[TR] An *oops* day, and a question about Aprons.

David Ljung Madison team.net at daveola.com
Mon Oct 22 15:38:14 MDT 2007

Driving my TR3A on this beautiful day I was coming up to a stop.
I pressed my brake a little off to the side, and the brake pad
popped off.  And so did my foot.  (Off the brake, not off my leg :).

And that's how I managed to crush the front apron on my car today.

*sigh*

Anyways, I was looking into replacing the apron (I'm pretty sure
mine can't be restored), and this brings up an interesting question
for me regarding wide-mouth vs non-wide-mouth grill.

Allegedly, the grill switched to wide-mouth for the TR3A, however
I know that often these switches took some time and didn't always
shift exactly with the first model of a new line.

According to vtr.org:

  In 1958, Triumph opened up the grill to increase air flow and the
  TR3A "wide mouth" was born.

However, the first TR3As (including mine) were actually built in 1957.
I don't know if that's a mistake on vtr or not.  According to Bill
Piggot the wide-mouth *did* occur with the first TR3A.

My car is the 113th TR3A, built in Sept of 57, the first month
that TR3As were built, so I'm considering the possibility that it
was originally *not* a wide mouth car.

I have no idea if this is the original apron from my car, so that's
not much of an indicator.

Anyways, I have a feeling there's no way to find out the truth,
but does anyone have any thoughts on where to get more info?  Or
if I should just trust Bill, perhaps?

Dave