[TR] Grinding aluminum

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Mon Oct 22 07:45:37 MDT 2007

From: "David Brister" <david.brister at wanadoo.fr>
> I was taught that before using a file on aluminium you rubbed chalk over the
> teeth. We used to use a card with stiff wire bristles (I think it was called
> a file card)

Yes.  A file cleaner is called a "file card" because it resembles a tool called a "card" which was used (in pairs) to prepare wool for spinning, a process called "carding".

>  to clean the file afterwards.

Many file cards you can buy have a place on the back were you store a sharp pick used to pry out of the file bits of metal resistant to the wires in the file card.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,