[TR] Diesel Vanguards and TR diesel conversions

nwolf at u.washington.edu nwolf at u.washington.edu
Sun Oct 21 18:43:10 MDT 2007

> John Macartney wrote:
> In these fuel-conscious times (in Europe at least) it seems strange that
> there aren't more (any?) sidescreen TR's fitted with the Vanguard diesel
> engine (a derivative) that also fouind its way into the tractor.
>
> Jonmac

   From Wikipedia's article on the Standard Vanguard:
   "In February 1954 Standard became the first British car maker to offer a diesel engine as a factory fitted option. The chassis was stiffened to take the weight of the heavier engine and performance suffered with 65 mph about the top speed. 1,973 were made."

   Sooo, I tend to agree with TeriAnn that a torquey TDI would be a more practical, available, and fun option.  This idea keeps coming up, and it seems viable... Has anybody done it?

-Nick Wolf
'64-ish TR4 not going diesel any time soon, but maybe some day
Vancouver, BC