[TR] TR-3 Engine Stand

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Sun Oct 21 15:23:14 MDT 2007

So Bill, now that you have entire history of the Ferguson/TR motor but your
block still sits on the floor next to your 'universal' engine stand, are you
ready to mount the motor?  I have my TR motor on a universal stand and I  used
3 1/2" long 5/16 18 bolts with  1/2" grade 8 washer backed up by  a 5/16"
grade 8 washer.  The 3 1/2" length is determined by the  specific mount arm you
are using.  Yours may require longer, but probably  not shorter.  Bolt the arms
of the stand to the threaded holes that the  bell housing bolts up to at the
two top 'corners'.  Use the 1/2" washers  backed up by the 5/16" washers under
the head of the bolt as the hole in the  stand arm is likely to be much too
large.  At the lower left 'corner' use a  bell housing mount hole as well but
on the lower right 'corner' use the lower  starter mount hole.  The starter
mount hole is not threaded so go through  and use a washer and nut.
Once this is bolted up make sure the bolt goes through the bellhousing  mount
holes enough so you can put washer and nut on it as a safety  measure.
Before doing all this I centered the degree wheel on the flywheel flange  and
mounted it with two flywheel bolts.  I wanted the degree wheel on the  crank
all the way through to final assembly so I could accurately mark my crank
pulley for timing.
My stand is rated for 1500 lbs but toward the end when the head went on,
etc, etc, I put a brace from the front of the block down to the center leg on
the stand to take the weight off the 5/16 bolts bolting the block to the  stand.
 It just seemed prudent to me.
David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO