[TR] TR3 Tachometer Cable Length

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Fri Oct 19 17:28:21 MDT 2007

> I am fitting a new MOSS tachometer cable in the TR3. How far
> into the tachometer drive below the distributer should the cable go?
> Mine only goes about 1/4 inch. I am thinking that it should go
> farther in and perhaps I have a broken piece stuck in mine. Can
> someone tell me how far it goes in? ISTR last time I did this I ended
> up shortening the cable with a hack saw.
> If I do have a broken cable, is there a way to push it out from
> behind?
> Bill Brewer

Hi, Bill.  Mo-Ma, who does gauge rebuilding, carefully and clearly warns that you want to snip the cable off to 1/4 inch before inserting into either the tach or speedometer.  Reason is, the extra length does disaster inside.  Because these cables are made of individual strands of wire, I used a bench grinder to shorten.

If you do have something stuck inside, you might try a magnet.

Have fun!

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire