[TR] Horn Works on its own

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Thu Oct 18 14:35:27 MDT 2007

Today I'm at a stop sign and as I start to turn left I hear a horn blaring
at me so I stop and look around and it's still blasting away..............uh
oh............it's my car's horn going off. Go straight, it's quiet, turn
right or left and it comes on. Pull over pull the fuse and I'm on my way,
but I can hear something scrapping inside the hub as I turn the wheel. This
is a Grant wheel and hub that I've had on the car for about 8 years. I pull
it all apart and find a spring lying inside the adapter next to the TR6
copper horn contact ring. There's also a pile of copper shavings in there.
On the Grant adapter there's a copper rod that passes through the adapter,
held in place by the spring and makes steady contact with the ring. I called
Grant and actually talked to one of their engineer/designers who said it
sounded as if the cap on the copper rod that holds the spring in place had
worn down allowing the spring to fall off. He then asked me what I had used
for lube when I did the installation. Lube? I'm looking at the instructions
and tell him that there's no mention of lubing this part. Pregnant pause on
his part followed by...."anytime you have metal to metal contact of moving
parts you need some type of lube".... point taken. He was a real nice guy
who actually called back within 5 minutes of me leaving him a message.
Unfortunately these hubs are out of their Italy plant so he has to contact
them for a replacement part. In the meantime, I'm thinking of fabricating
something to hold the spring in place until I can get the replacement part.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org