[TR] TR3 to Spitfire: gas tank interchangable?

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Tue Oct 16 16:27:25 MDT 2007

> I have just bought a Spitfire (62-70 Mkl-Mklll) fuel tank for only $15 off
> Ebay. It seems the dimensions are similar to my TR3's tank size. One guy
> said he thought they were interchangable. Is this true?
> I had needed to 'JB Weld' some of the fittings on my original that I
> messed up and I thought this might be a good backup.

Paul,
When I disassembled my TR3A wreck...'scuse, restoration project...I took out the gas tank, inspected, cleaned, wire brushed and POR-15'ed it.  Felt pretty smug that I had such a good tank to start with.
Uh oh.
Turns out on reinstall that the tank was a Spitfire tank.  Somebody had juryrigged it to fit but if I recall the sending unit didn't fit right, so the gas gauge couldn't have worked.
Still have that restored Spit tank.  Have to get rid of it one of these days, along with a bunch of other stuff leftover from restoration.
Have fun!
Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire