[TR] TR6 Color Question

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Tue Oct 16 10:49:55 MDT 2007

In a message dated 10/15/2007 7:48:45 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
cole.jw at comcast.net writes:

Is the  black supposed to be flat, matte, semi-gloss, gloss?

Paint terminology has changed a bit over the years.....you didn't mention
satin as a choice; I believe that it's closer to what "OEM" probably was.   I
have a good photo of the rear of my purchased-new 1969 TR6 that somehow
survived 35+ years in hot attic storage.  The black has some sheen but very  muted;
not dull enough to be flat and not shiny enough to be  semi-gloss.....spray a
sample of "matte" versus "satin" on a test panel and  compare.  Heck, when I
restored the TR6, we sprayed the door (while it was  off the car) at least 5
times with different shades (blends) of red until I saw  what I liked....each
time we sprayed the door, I took it home and put it out in  the bright sun, took
it under a tree, and looked at it indoors....spraying out  test panels is the
best way to see what you're comparing.

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA