[TR] Help..TR3 running on 2

tr3bob at cox.net tr3bob at cox.net
Tue Oct 16 06:59:03 MDT 2007

Hi listers,

This is my first question from this new address.

I know there was a thread at one point or another, but I'm a little frustrated with this chronic problem.

My TR3A has about 4000 miles on a fresh engine. I rebuilt the carbs when I did the engine and thought everything was OK.

I understood that the Triumph motor needed a heavy choke when first starting, but it has always run rough until it reached temperature.

This rough starting has gotten worse over the last few months so that even at temperature it doesn't settle down completely.

Last night  I did a little investigating. While it was idling rough, I pulled the wires off cylinders 3 and 4 with no change. I pulled the plugs and found 3 and 4 clean while 1 and 2 were extremely rich....rear carb??? I checked the float bowls, needle valves and pistons on the H6's....all seemed OK. Installed fresh plugs...no change. Cleaned the points and contacts in the distributor cap...no change.

 Hmmmmm....Should I replace the plug wires....distributor cap....reset the valves??

What gives?...I'm just a little frustrated with this. Has anyone else had this problem?

TIA

Bob Stahlbush