[TR] TR3 H6 Carbs Running Rich

William Brewer bbrewer at tvwireless.net
Sun Oct 14 19:33:34 MDT 2007

      I finally replaced the rear SU on my TR3. It just wouldn't stop
leaking gas no matter what I tried (leaking from the float bowl
mount, new grommets and bolt didn't help). I used a spare carb I had
laying around and rebuilt it with a complete new jet assembly from
Moss. Long story short, it runs very rich. I checked the front carb
(rebuilt about 30,000 miles ago) and it is also running rich. The
plugs have black soot all over them front to rear. At least there are
no leaks. The jets are adjusted all the way up and they are still
rich. I installed lean needles from Moss and it is still rich.
      Any advice from the list?
      I've considered re-adjusting the needles to a lower position
using a 1/16 or or 1/8 shim to set it instead of having the shoulder
even with the  bottom of the damper. Has anyone else tried this?
      I live at about the 5,000 feet elevation.
      What gives?

      Bill Brewer
      Tehachapi, CA