[TR] Emailing: triumph

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 13 16:00:03 MDT 2007

> It's still a Beemer no matter how they tag it.

Just as post-war Triumphs were really Standards - i.e. cars designed and
built by the Standard Motor Company. I take some pride in the fact that my
own *Triumph* isn't a Triumph and never was. It's a four seater, fuel
injected Standard Vanguard that only 'poses' as a Triumph, even though it's
1970 build. Genuine Triumphs under Colonel Holbrook and his merry men
stopped being made in 1939, so everything thereafter was just a name clone
and little else.

> The Coopers are BMW's

Meaning presumably the Mini built by BMW in Oxford, UK? Sorry, that design
is 1000% Rover from Longbridge and a design which even BMW at the time
didn't interest them much. Didn't stop BMW taking it (along with the Triumph
and Riley names) as part of the break-up when it ditched Rover.

> the Triumph's will also be BMW's just as the MG will be a Chinese car.

Exactly!

> It might help if they were actually built in GB but then, as rusty as
> our cars are do we really want the British to start building cars again?

Matter of fact, old chap - we've never stopped making cars in this country -
albeit mostly now under foreign ownership. Honda, Nissan and Toyota are
exported in their hundreds of thousands annually from the UK (many to Japan
as well), while you guys seem to have a penchant for Land & Range Rovers in
substantial quantities - and Jaguar's still going strong, although Ford
allegedly still can't crack the warranty claims. A pity that Bentley is now
owned by that Hitler's People's Car outfit and the current Rolls Royce looks
like a brothel on wheels - but hey, when you hand over names to people who
don't understand how to handle and respect them, anything can - and usually
does happen :)

> I mean afterall, you would think that a country surrounded by salt water
> would have put some kind of rust prevention into their design.

W---------eeeeeeeee------lllllllllllllllllll ain't that relative? You're a
pretty huge lump of land and renowned for making fairly huge lumps of
motorised metal as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't yours of of the
60's/70's/80's they rust just as easily? Let's face it, the run-of-the-mill
post war Triumph-badged Standard was never built to last long either, so
what's the gripe? :)

But personally, if BMW do re-launch the name, I'd never buy an example, just
as I never fly Lufthansa, on principle. Thank God BMW never got the
opportunity to buy the Rolls Royce Aero Engine Division

Jonmac