[TR] FW: Emailing: triumph

Mike Denman mikedenman at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 11 08:34:25 MDT 2007

I woke up this morning to find that one of my car makes, Marcos, is going
bankrupt (again) and another of my car makes is being re-born (Triumph). The
news doesn't affect either car that I own since the Marcos factory doesn't
stock or sell parts for my 1966 Marcos and the new Triumph factory won't
stock or sell parts for my 1962 TR3. I also have a 1961 VW beetle and when
the new retro VW beetle came out there was a lot of speculation in the VW
clubs how this would raise the awareness and prices for the original
beetle... didn't happen. The new Triumph is interesting but the revival of
the make is only important if you plan on buying one of the new cars
(assuming that they export the model to the USA... the new Marcos never
reached that stage and I couldn't afford it even if it was exported). The
Triumph logo in the press release is not only a Triumph Motorcycle logo but
it appears that the picture of the logo is of a Triumph motorcycle.... note
that the body work has a compound curve like a motorcycle tank and that the
body work is black while the car (prototype) is red.  Looking closely at the
red car you can read triumph across the front edge of the bonnet in what
looks like the original chrome Triumph type logo/letters that we all are
familiar with from the earlier cars. I suspect an advertising person came up
with the Triumph Motorcycle logo picture from a "stock photo service" and
didn't realize that the picture wasn't of the correct logo. The car pictured
doesn't make me want to run out and buy one but if BMW builds the car it
will be worth looking at if it ever arrives at the local BMW dealer.
Mike Denman