[TR] Rear Toe - Spitfire

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Thu Oct 11 07:13:36 MDT 2007

On 11 Oct 2007 at 6:31, Bob Berger wrote:

> Do the degree numbers relate to/match the inches?
> How do I convert Degrees of toe-in/out to Inches?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it:

Toe-in is usually given in distance, not angle.  The distance is the
difference between the track measured at the front of the rim and the
track measured at the back of the rim.  So the relationship to angle
is that toe-in = 2 * wheel diameter * sin(angle).  The factor of 2 is
because measuring the track wheel to wheel gives the sum of the two
wheels, whereas if you measured it from the car's centerline it would
be just one wheel.

A curious thing is that if you had one wheel toed in and one toed
out, you could still end up with a correct distance value.  Of
course, at the front the wheels do turn together but at the back they
aren't supposed to.  Measuring w.r.t. the centerline would seem to be
necessary for the rear.  And of course, at the front toe-in changes
with steering angle so you need to have the wheels point forward,
more or less.

I confess I'm unsure of that factor of 2.  I'm sure of the
calculation, just not sure whether quoted toe-in values take it
account or are meant to be interpreted as for just one wheel.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+