[TR] TR4 Door Checkstraps

Dean.Mericas at CH2M.com Dean.Mericas at CH2M.com
Mon Oct 8 12:14:25 MDT 2007

On Monday 08 October 2007 12:00 pm, Jeffrey Barteet wrote:
> Hi, Folks,
>
> I'm replacing the check straps on  my TR4, something I've been meaning
> to do, literally, for years.
>
> Now that I've got all the panels off and I'm in there, I see I have a
> two-fold problem. The checkstrap assembly provided by Moss goes into
the
> kick panel area just in front of the door without issues. The problem
> I've encountered is the 'anchor' portion of the check strap on the
door
> itself. It is distorted and almost torn free from the door.
>
> The PO who was the original owner must have been pretty heavy handed
and
> threw the door open pretty hard.
>
> Is there a repair part for this? The anchor is spot welded to the door
> frame, so it's not something you can unbolt and replace.
>
> Any suggestions from the folks who have BTDT?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -jeffrey

I've got a similar situation developing on the passenger door on my TR4.
The attachment ears pulled out on the other door before I got the car,
and the DPO installed a small threaded eye bolt that seems to be holding
up in the 16 years I've had the car.  I have been unable to source a
similarly sized eye bolt or forked end bolt for when the bracket finally
lets go.  Any suggestions that don't involve replacing the door or even
removing it to weld in a new bracket?

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4