[TR] plug gap for platinum plugs

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Oct 6 12:20:39 MDT 2007

>  '78 Spitfire 1500 with original Lucas electronic ignition.
>
> I bought a set of Platinum plugs, NGK BPR5EGP. The box says Don't
> adjust the gap, as you might damage the little Platinum tip. The new
> ones are gapped at .035  My Haynes manual says .025

IMO, carefully adjust them to .025.  With any plug (not just platinums) you
should never pry against the center electrode when adjusting the gap.
Instead, get one of the tools to bend the side electrode without touching
the center one.

FWIW, I use Bosch Platinum WR7BP, which have the center electrode surrounded
by ceramic and thus less prone to damage.

Randall