[TR] caliper bolts

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 3 16:31:51 MDT 2007

> Good day to all! Can anyone tell me why the bolts that mount
> the caliper to the vertical link cost almost $10 apiece from
> Moss? That is $39 and change for 4 bolts!What is so special
> about them? As far as I can see, they are 7/16" Fine thread
> by 1 1/2" long. Please, someone shed some light on this for
> me. Thanks!.......

The problem is that the calipers are metric, while the car is SAE.  The bolt
shanks (the unthreaded part) are a special diameter for a snug fit in the
caliper.  Since the bolts are custom-made for this application, they are
more expensive.  The snug fit is considered essential for strength, as
otherwise the bolts would flex when the brakes were applied, and eventually
fail.

BTW, TRF has them on sale at the moment.

Randall