[TR] Update 2 Changing oil to full synthetic

Greg Perry rgperry at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 3 12:04:30 MDT 2007

Hello list,  Continuation from Update 1 Changing oil to full synthetic

Disclaimer:  I do not have any connections or inside information about motor
oils or any additives.  Please take the information in this e-mail and links
for what it is worth.  I am only stating my thoughts and opinion about the
subject.  Sometimes peoplebs opinions contradict one another.

I know that my triumph has used oils with API service ratings of SC, SD, SE,
SF, SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM, CC, CD, CE, CF, CF-4, CG-4 and CH-4 in the engine.
The engine still has good compression, leaks oil, valve guides worn, runs rich
and has over 200,000 miles on it.  The engine does not seem to have any ill
effects from all of the API service specifications over the 26 years of my
ownership.  I drive the car daily and change the oil routinely at 3,000 to
5,000 miles.  Have a look at the Castrol GTX 20W-50 cardboard case box for the
advertisement b
For Extra Protection, Try Castrol SYNTEC or Castrol GTX High
Mileage, SAVE on your next purchase via mail-in offer.  See bottom of case for
details.b
  Ibll bet that Castrol SYNTEC and GTX High Mileage oil price is
higher price than Castrol GTX.  The written Castrol response states:

1. b
Some consumers suspect the lower level of ZDDP in GF-4 oils may be
causing these failures.b

2. b
Castrol Syntec 20W-50 (*NEWLY FORMULATED classic oil formula - see link
to website below for information on our new 20W-50 product)b
.
3.  b
If installing a new performance cam in an older performance vehicle, it
is important to:
    * follow the installation recommendations provided by the cam
manufacturer
    * use the recommended cam break-in lube
    * prime the engine oil circuits
    * use the recommended engine oil
    * confirm valvetrain geometries prior to starting the engine with the new
cam

There seems to be a lot of direct market advertising by Castrol in the
response and on the case box of Castrol GTX.  The kicker in my opinion is that
both the Castrol response and the article by Keith Ansell of Foreign Parts
Positively, Inc titled b
Oil is Killing Our Cars!b
 both include comments
about newly installed camshafts.  There is probably a problem with the new oil
formulations being used to break-in a new flat tappet camshaft.   Regards,
Greg Perry Part 3 forthcoming