[TR] Changing oil to full synthetic

Michael Godley mgodley at tiac.net
Tue Oct 2 13:28:22 MDT 2007

Well there's always the "snake oil option"...... meaning an additive with
zinc.  See below.     On a more serious note, if a product like STP with
XEP2 adds zinc why not?.....its cheap and we don't have to worry about
catalytic converters.  While I'm at it I should probably add some Marvel
Mystery Oil to the gas....my factory workshop manual recommends a top end
lubricant, but I have never used one...finally where's the Re-lead....I have
a "leaded gas head" and 25 years of using unleaded fuel is probably taking
its toll!

Cheers

Mike Godley
Additive Free - 65 TR4A -

>From epinions...and I recall several past threads with similar sentiment

http://www.epinions.com/content_2969477252

"The next oil additive category is Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate, we'll just
call it zinc. Zinc is contained as part of the standard additive package in
virtually every major brand of engine oil sold today. Organic zinc compounds
are used as extreme pressure, anti-wear additives, and are therefore found
in larger amounts in oils specifically blended for high-revving,
turbocharged or racing applications. The zinc in your oil comes into play
only when there is actual metal-to-metal contact within your engine, which
should never occur under normal operating conditions. However, if you race,
or occasionally play tag with the redline on the tach, the zinc is your last
line of defense. Under extreme conditions, the zinc compounds react with the
metal to prevent scuffing, particularly between cylinder bores and piston
rings. Adding extra zinc via oil additives is not only unnecessary, it is
harmful to the catalytic converter. The following are SOME (not all) of the
zinc dialkyldithiophosphate containing products currently on the market:
Mechanics Brand Engine Tune Up, K Mart Super Oil Treatment, and STP Engine
Treatment With XEP2."

"{"What has been the experience if any with changing from mineral based oils
(Castrol GTX 20-w50)to full synthetic based oils Castrol Syntec 20W-50)on a
flat tappet 200,000 mile leaky Triumph motor?  The question comes about
because of the recommendation from Castrol oil Company of only using Syntec
20W-50 only in flat tappet camshaft engines.

*