[TR] Article about new oil formulations

Greg Perry rgperry at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 2 09:50:24 MDT 2007

Andy and list,

I called the Castrol tech line and inquired about having a flat tappet cam and what oil would they recommend.  The answer was to use Syntec 20W-50 only due to the zinc content of 1200 ppm (0.12%).  I asked about the Castrol GTX 20W-50 that I have used for years.  The reply was that the new API spects have significantly reduced zinc content and that the GTX was not recommended for flat tappet engines.  I believe that the Syntec 20W-50 is a full synthetic oil.  Leading to the question of switching to full synthetic oil in the following e-mail.

Greg Perry