[TR] TRF steering couplings - failure warning

Brian Jones banc8004 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 1 14:16:54 MDT 2007

I fitted rubber steering couplings a few weeks ago to my 1963 TR4. I
just received a call from Dave at The Roadster Factory warning that
the couplings are flawed, and may fail.

They were supplied from the UK, where the alert about the failures
originates. This may not be limited to only TRF couplings, as I
recall the TRF salesman telling me when I ordered them that the 'Big
Three' all get them from the same source.

They are currently out of stock, are not expected for 2 to 3 weeks,
and Dave asked that the car not be driven until the couplings are
replaced.

I just wanted to pass this on in case anyone on this list has
recently fitted new couplings, and haven't yet been reached by TRF
(or other supplier).

Its perfect driving weather here in the NE just now...ah well, better
safe than sorry.

Maybe time to get an early start on my winter 'to do' list

Brian