[TR] [Spits] Over Drive Question ????

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Nov 28 13:46:01 MST 2007

In a message dated 11/28/2007 10:35:59 AM Central Standard Time,
TR250Driver at aol.com writes:
> Humm, The way things ended up with my GT6+ OD I have overdrive in 1st &2nd,
>
> reverse is locked out. I did not ask for it that way for it is for sure not
> normal. We had trouble finding the bracket that goes up front on the early
> OD's.
> I don't use OD in those gears but I thought about trying it out during
> autocrossing.  I guess that would be a bad thing Huh? I have accidentally
> gone in a
> few times. torque/drive ????

If it is a J-type the biggest thing you'll notice is the time delay in
engaging.  Since there is no accumulator the overdrive will engage as the pump fills
the pistons and since the pump is run off the transmission output shaft it
doesn't matter how fast the engine is turning, only how fast the driveshaft is
turning.  And in the lower gears the driveshaft is turning pretty slow.

I tried this once on my TR6.  I got the car moving at 10 mph and shifted into
third and hit the overdrive switch.  It took about 15 - 20 ft to engage the
overdrive and at that speed it is real close to a full second.  This could be a
real inconvenience in an autocross.

Since this OD is also used in some rather large Jags and Volvos I don't think
that the torque is the issue.  It is a pretty stout unit.

Cheers

Hope you're feeling better.

Dave