[TR] Over Drive Question

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Nov 28 09:06:52 MST 2007

In a message dated 11/28/2007 8:27:41 AM Central Standard Time,
JStasyszen at odmhsas.org writes:
> Hello all, I have a J Type overdrive I am going to install in my 76
> Spitfire.
> It has a wiring harness attached to it but none of the wires are hooked up.
> There are two solenoids on the transmission, one below the gear shifter that
> is a three inch cylindrical solenoid with two male wire poles that are not
> marked another smaller pancake looking solenoid on top of the transmission
> that also has two male wiring poles that are not marked. Can anyone tell me
> which wires go where, I am not even sure if the wiring harness is the
> correct
> one.

That part on the top of the transmission is a lock-out switch.  It will close
whenever the gear selector is in 3rd or 4th gear.  This will enable the
solenoid and engage the overdrive (if the switch in the knob is closed).  This will
prevent overdrive engagement in 1st, 2nd or reverse.  This switch should be
wired in series with the solenoid.

I don't have the Spitfire schematic handy but it should show how these three
items are interconnected.  You can compare your harness against the wiring
diagram and determine if it is correct.

Cheers

Dave