[TR] 72 TR6 - Oil in Exhaust

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 27 18:42:01 MST 2007

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 07:17 pm, Geo & Kathleen Hahn wrote:
> Couldn't it be that the rings have never seated?
>
> Geo

When I started my TR3 rebuilt engine way back when, I remember it taking
awhile before the rings seated. But I dont recall any oil actually dripping
out of the exhaust. Lots of blue smoke but once the rings seated it was like
someone turned off the light switch, no smoke and the plugs stopped getting
all fouled up.

It was a long time ago, but I would remember oil dripping out of the exhaust
pipe during the ring seating process.

Wouldnt any oil getting into the combustion chamber be burned off and result
in a very blue smoke out the exhaust?

And if it isn't getting burned off the oil would have to be entering the
chamber only on the exhaust stroke? How could this be possible?

Or is so much oil entering the chamber that on compression and combustion,
that gets burned up and on the following firing and exhaust stroke sucks in
the oil from the valve guides and pushes it out the exhaust?

Sounds like a compression test is in order.

BTW, are the plugs oil fouled?

Bob