[TR] Folding engine crane clearance

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 27 10:07:04 MST 2007

 Bob,

We did a TR6 with my 2-ton HF crane; 88" sounds very tight to me.  Whether
it works or not may depend on how close you can get the boom tied to the
engine; and also on what means you have to tilt the engine as it comes out.
Might work out with one of these
http://www.tools-4-you.co.uk/Automotive/loadleveller.htm
but I don't think the lash-up we used (conceptually similar to the Oberg
"Tilt Lift")
http://mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=31286
would have cleared.

As I recall, we had to do some prep work under the car, but set it down on
it's wheels when actually lifting the engine out.  Did it with the car
nose-in to the garage (so crane arm could go up in front of the door), then
rolled the car back out from under the engine as it came up out of the car.

BTW, I believe the 2-ton has a longer "reach" than the 1-ton (eg you can
slide the boom out farther and still have the capacity to lift a TR motor).
Plus my "non-folding" version actually fits into less floor space for
storage than the "folding" version does.  By removing 4 bolts (one of which
I replaced with a clevis pin), it separates into 3 major pieces, each of
which I can lift by myself.  I keep them stacked on end (tied with a rope in
case of earthquakes) in the corner of the garage.

Randall