[TR] Hard to find bits for TR3/TR4 to bring back from the UK?

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Mon Nov 26 11:55:42 MST 2007

I used to travel back and forth between the UK and USA  frequently. I  climb
large parabolic antennas as part of my work. I also measure things with  some
hand tools.
I also pick up Stag  and TR parts and bring back.
I once flew out of Leeds-Bradford International Airport. I had a flat  map
reading flashlight (a viewing lens with a handle holding 6 aaa cells side by
side), my Rose body harness (for climbing) and a dial caliper. I was also
beringing back a 1949 Triumph 1800 waterpump pulley for a friend.

I was paged shortly after I checked in and was immediately escorted by  two
young muscular men, through a hidden doorway (looks like a piece of  paneling)
into a room with a number of other young and probably armed men.

Crowded very close on either side, they had me carefully open my suitcase
while it was being videotaped. It was being played back to a monitor which
another person was watching out of my vision.
I was grabbed and restrained several times by the two guys in either side  of
me when I moved too fast for them. After I opened the suitcase, they had me
lift off the Rose body harness and hold it up; A voice said "That's the
parachute".
Then the dial caliper : "That's the timer".
Then the map light "That's the detonator"
Then the  1949 Triumph 1800 water pump pulley "That's the  lump".

I had stacked these all together on top of each other. The gentlemen were
visibly relieved.   I was told to always hand carry my dial indicator as  the
dial looked like a timer whenever it was xrayed. I lost it to the Lufthansa
boys though after 911 in Frankfurt because they said it could be used as a
weapon.

Mike Moore