[TR] Running with Webers

Darrell Walker darrellw at ipns.com
Fri Nov 23 21:26:56 MST 2007

Hi TeriAnn,

Thanks for the reply!

On Nov 23, 2007, at 7:58 PM, TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:
> No questions asked, but be sure the butterflies are completely closed
> and not uncovering a progression hole.  If your carbs have air bypass
> screws use those to set our idle speed.

I'm pretty sure they are.  I'm hoping that the one bypass that was
open about a turn is the cause, along with the open idle mixture
screws.  But I think I must also have a vacuum leak, too.

>> Also, my new Denso alternator is working, but my ignition warning
>> light doesn't operate.  I wired it up according to Dan Master's
>> instructions at the VTR site (or at least that's what I intended to
>> do!).  I'll have to debug that as well.
>
> No question asked but be sure one side of the gen lamp goes to
> switched
> 12V and the other side goes to the alternator.

I'll double check, but it should be, since it was that way when I had
the stock generator.  It is charging, at least according to the
ammeter.  I suppose I could have gotten the two wires backwards
(sense and ignition) on the alternator.

>> Still have my new electric fuel pump to install, Mallory distributor,
>> and figure out what I want to do for air cleaners.
>
> Still no questions asked.  Webers like high volume low pressure
> (about 3
> lbs) pumps.  The stock mechanical pump works fine.  You may need a
> pressure regulator for the electric pump.

Yep, got that from you page.  My pump is supposed to be in that
range, but I'll get a gauge and confirm once it is in.

> Don't rely upon the distributor parts contacting the engine parts to
> provide an adequate ground.  A real common problem is a poor ground
> destroying condensers. Play it safe and run  wire between the bolt
> holding the condenser to the distributor and a bolt holding the
> coil to
> the block.  Also, the condenser is coated.  The nibs on the holder are
> supposed to pierce the coating.  Never reuse a condenser holder
> even if
> it looks like new.  An extra precaution would be to lightly sand the
> condenser side where the holder nibs make contact.

I'm using a Pertronix, so no points/condenser.

> I use an itg filter.  You do not want to put a solid surface in close
> proximity over the air horns.

That's what I'm planning, just need to decide one for each carb, or
one for both.

-Darrell

--
Darrell Walker