[TR] TR3A Alternator Conversion Bracket Problem

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Thu Nov 22 06:51:48 MST 2007

A year ago, driving to work in the dark, driving home in the dark, I was surprised to find that my battery was dead after two weeks.  Hmmm...apparently the generator was unable to keep with the daily drain, a point confirmed by Listers.

So, I've loved the new GM alternator that I replaced the generator with.  But the problem is, I've broken three different top brackets.  And now, having broken the bottom generator bracket trying to "flex" it to get it back onto the engine, the front engine plate has broken at the bracket-to-generator mount.

Gadfrey.

While I continue trying to source a generator bracket (upper and lower), I'm also trying to decide whether to give up on the alternator and go back to the plodding, inadequate, but steady generator.  But before I do, does anyone do an aftermarket manufacture of just the bracket?  I obviously don't have the engineering talent to make one, and don't need the whole conversion kit.

Happy Turkey Day!

Terry Smith  '59 TR3A TS 58667
New Hampshire