[TR] [6pack] TR6 timing Chain Tensioner Question

Tony Gordon triumph at 2simpleusa.com
Wed Nov 21 20:37:10 MST 2007

Hi Dick,

Just in case you are in need of some ideas on how to tension the chain in
your new design .... I did a little searching on the Ford front and found a
picture of the snail cam that was used to apply pressure with the single
chain pad in the old days ... that is now available as a double width pad
from the Formula Ford folks who still use the 1600 Kent (or crossflow)
engine.  Although I will not venture to suggest that this is better than the
current spring steel strip system used in the TR6, but it does seem to work
well for the FF and the high revving and highly loaded camshafts of the Ford
brigade.  And I must say that when I raced a very hot 1300 Kent engine
(through a restrictor plate) so everything had to be done to the cam and the
rocker gear, I never once had a problem with a failure or any evidence of
significant wear. Having said that, the thing was so loud that I wouldn't
have heard any timing chain noise anyway!

Regards to Grandma and hoping that she recovers her strength soon.

Tony Gordon
72 TR6