[TR] TR6 timing Chain Tensioner Question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 00:51:04 MST 2007

Tony,

The timing chain gets plenty of tension on the tension side; all the
'tensioner' has to do is keep the slack side from banging around.  With
longer chains (like the TR7) that can be a problem, but the short, stout
chain on a TR6 doesn't need all that much, IMO.

Anyway, the TR2-4 use the same arrangement, and when mine broke after some
40 years of service, I just replaced it with a new one (which probably would
have lasted another 40 years).  Driving with it broken caused no problems at
all, just kind of a funny noise at certain engine rpm.

BTW, I believe the TR7 takes the same tensioner as a Stag, which requires an
oil supply for proper operation.  Since they are overhead cam engines, the
chain is several times longer than the TR2-6, and the fancier tensioner is
merited.

YMMV, etc.
Randall