[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 1, Issue 360

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 19 08:12:19 MST 2007

Michael Marr wrote:
> Now, were they pusher fans, pullers, shrouded, manually controlled,
> thermostatically controlled, or what?  And did they continue to run after
> the Lada was shut off?  Or am I confusing this with another recent thread?

Michael, I drove a Lada Cossack (4x4) for a day - and it seemed like a year. It was OK and not
dis-similar in comfort terms to a Series 2 heavy duty Landrover going over rocks at speed. I'd
forgotten the Lada car and yes, a clone of the Fiat 124.
As to the finer points of specification, I'm sure Lada enthusiasts (are there any?) will agree the
fan was belt driven and both sucked and blowed depending on the flexing of the blades. There wasn't
any oil in the dashpot 'cos there wasn't one, the electrics were worse than Lucas and genuine
examples of Kutchakokoff Lighting Industries but I never got round to seeing how you loosened the
front crank pulley nut....
Door clearances were 'sufficient' (and followed a strictly Triumph pattern in that respect). Body
side badges were upside down, downside up and also at differering locations on the trailing edges of
the front wings. Paintwork wise, the engine and inner side of the rear tailgate were varying shades
of flat black, gloss black, semi flat black, semi gloss black and Ford Mondeo Silver metallic - but
I think that was on the rear tailpipe.

Jonmac

PS Those in the know tell me you got a free workshop hammer and a sickle for keeping the garden
trim, plus a lifetime's supply of Borscht (Beetroot soup) if you ordered the de-luxe version.