[TR] Lada

Jim Wallace grandfatherjim at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 06:30:43 MST 2007

In Canada for a few years around 1980 we got a small 1500cc Lada sedan
that was a clone of a Fiat 124.
They were very inexpensive and for a short time, they were all over
the roads. In fact they were mass produced in Russia on a huge scale,
but for some reason were not brought into the US. A short time later,
there were none to be seen as they were notoriously unreliable. After
they were a year old or so, it was easy to buy one for $500.
I think it was a short time later we got the Niva, a small 4x4
somewhat akin to the Suzuki Sidekick, and it was considered much more
reliable. However it did not sell well, no doubt due to the reputation
of the car that preceded it.
Jim