[TR] Relative values

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 16 15:42:31 MST 2007

Joe Burlein wrote:

>I think the upgrades detract from the overall value.  For big money, you want original or as close
>as you can get.  Just my 2 cents.

Well, thanks to everyone for their replies and guidance. Sure looks as though sidescreeners are
beginning to make the money in the US that they've been making here for a while.

Andy Mace was right in his statement that the bulk of sports car shipments went to North America and
this is why prices in the US have remained low by comparison. Its all down to supply and demand in
virtually any commodity. Make anything desirable difficult to obtain and the price always goes up or
the residual values of used stays high. Sidescreeners have been like chicken's teeth in Europe for
years and have always commanded high prices - even for trash condition.

As for wanting something that just looks and probably is original in appearance, that's not really
my scene. I was lucky(?) enough to see hundreds of Triumphs that were as original as they come -
when they were new and straight off the line. IMHO, they were just plain uninteresting because they
all looked the same. The 'originality' (for me) comes in when you pit the technology of fifty or
more years ago against modern vehicles. Not only engine performance but gearing, tyre and braking
technology and overall handling. I've had a lot of fun that way in taking an older car *almost* to
its safe limits against the best of modern mass produced stuff and when you do that - and come out
ahead of the other guy, or you make him mad by so doing - that's where 'originality' comes to the
fore. Dare I say it, or has it got something to do with the ability to safely push older technology
to the limit? Yes, miles on the odometer, squashed flies on the paintwork, the smell of a hot engine
and brake pad dust on the wheels.

Jonmac