[TR] new bonnet gap reduction technique

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Thu Nov 8 18:01:03 MST 2007

Today, I tightened my TR3's apron into place; the much talked about
'side-front of the hood/fender gap' (near the dzeu's) was reduced to almost
the size of your little finger on both sides of the bonnet.  If necessary, I
could live with that, but, I hope it's not necessary.  After taking the apron
back off, for inspection and some future radaitor work.  I made a mental note
of how I plan to 'eliminate' most of the gap at the sides of the bonnet.
    Last night I promoted Andrew's plan of tightening straps between both
radiator straps and horn areas as a possible way to reduce this crack.
However, I don't see how tightening the straps at these locations would help
with the gaps since this procedure would be done with the aluminun tie-piece
properly mounted.  What I intend on doing eventually is this:
    Lay a GM bumper-jack sideways in front of the radiator-bottom, and push
out the two front fenders.  Proably the jack bottom and top will touch those
two square-pads, one is on each fender with a hole in it, and double the metal
at that point for some unknown reason.  Then the aluminum tie bar will then
act like a pivot point and cause the side gaps to move closer.   (I only plan
to reduce each side by 1/4") What do other's think of  my plan?

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey   60 TR3