[TR] TR2 Clutch Woes

David Gunn ccgunn1010 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 11:11:54 MST 2007

 Hi All - I'm having problems bleeding my clutch hydraulic system, and I'm
hoping that the combined wisdom of this list will have a solution. I have the
old style master cylinder, where the brake and clutch master cyclinders and
reservoir are combined into one unit.I previously had some leakage problems on
the brake side of the unit.  At that time, both systems pumped up fine and
held pressure, and I was able to drive the car.  I bled both systems the
normal way (pushing in the pedal, releasing the bleed nipple until the pedal
goes to the floor, then closing the bleeed nipple before releasing the pedal).
Because the leakage was ruining the paint (I use Dot 4), I took it apart, and
sent the mastercylinder to Apple Hydraulics to be rebuilt.  And repainted the
firewall.Last night, I reassembled everything, and tried to bleed the 2
systems.  The brakes were fine.  After the air was purged, they pumped up, and
held pressure with no leaks.The clutch side is a different story.  I can't
seem to build up any pressure in the system.  To test it, and to try to
isolate  the possible problem, I disconnected the solid metal line and the
flexible line.  When the pedal was pumped, there was pressure at the end of
the solid line.  Enough to spray brake fluid all over that side of the engine
when I released my finger.  Therefore, it seems that the master cylinder is
OK, and there is no blockage  or air in the solid line.Next, I took off the
flexible line.  I thought that maybe it had collapsed.  It looked fine, and I
was able to blow air through from both directions.  It is also only a couple
years old.Before I reconnected the flexible line to the slave cylinder, I put
my finger over the hole, and pumped it from the clutch side.  It created
pressure.  BTW, the slave cylinder is only a couple months old, and is new,
not rebuilt.When I try to bleed the system, I can get no pressure when
attempting to bleed as I do with brakes.When I attempt to bleed the opposite
way (opening the bleed nipple before pushing in the pedal), I can create some
pressure, but not enough to fully disengage the clutch.  I can detect no
leaks, air or fluid, in the connections, and all are tight.When I just open
the bleed nipple and let it run through the hose, gravity allows the fluid to
flow out, and there is a lot of air bubbles.  This would also seem to indicate
that there is no blockage in the system, otherwise the fluid would not syphon
from the master cylinder.  I ran about 1/2 bottle of LMA through the clutch
system last night, and am still stumped.Any suggestions?  What am I doing
wrong?  What am I missing?Thanks, in advance, for all of your help and
advice,David Gunn1954 TR2 TS3388LChico, CA

Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Cafi. Stop by
today!
Reporting-MTA: dns;bay0-omc1-s21.bay0.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;BAY143-W34
Arrival-Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:08:50 -0800

Final-Recipient: rfc822;tr at autox.team.net
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 5.1.1 <tr at autox.team.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table