[TR] Exhaust notes (off topic?)

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 7 15:15:32 MST 2007

John Herrera's observations about exhaust and propellor noise was absolutely correct. It's true the
prop does make one helluva racket in it's own right. One of prop noises I really enjoy is the snarl
you get when changing from coarse to fine pitch - or vice versa.

There's another (as yet unstated noise) with aircraft engines. It's when you 'surge' a turbo-prop
gas turbine and it goes bang. The sound of compressor and turbine blades spinning round the test
cell x000rpm makes a John Wayne western gunfight seem positively tame. How do I know this?

Let's just say the incident in question considerably foreshortened my anticipated career with the
Rolls Royce Aero Engine Division back in the '60's and that's how I got to be with Standard-Triumph.
I often think about that RR 'Tyne' engine and how it absolutely didn't shape my later career. If it
had, I wouldn't have come to know all you great people :)

Jonmac

PS To add in the Triumph content, a 2000 or 2500 6 pot engine (preferably injected) with a decent
6-3-1 manifold, just one rear silencer and a resonator is still a fabulous sound under heavy load at
about 4500rpm.